‘Embrace’ staffing measures in new CMS pay rule
‘Embrace’ staffing measures in new CMS pay rule, expert advises
While proposed funding cuts grabbed the spotlight in the administration’s newly offered nursing home pay rule Monday, also within it are some highly noteworthy plans regarding President Joe Biden’s minimum staffing initiative.
CMS said it’s specifically seeking input on establishing minimum staffing requirements that nursing homes “will need to meet to ensure all residents are provided safe, high-quality care, and nursing home workers have the support they need.” The administration said on Feb. 28 that it would research and propose federal minimum staffing levels within a year — a goal that Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra has since said he expects to beat.
On Monday, CMS also said it is asking for stakeholder comment on the implementation of a nursing home staff turnover measure in the SNF value-based purchasing program.
April 12, 2022
Brown, Danielle. “‘Embrace’ Staffing Measures in New CMS Pay Rule, Expert Advises.” McKnight’s Long-Term Care News, 12 Apr. 2022, www.mcknights.com/news/embrace-staffing-measures-in-new-cms-pay-rule-expert-advises.
- AHCA / CliftonLarsonAllen In-Depth Analysis on Minimum Nurse Staffing Levels
- CMS Proposed Rule (April 2022): Fiscal Year (FY) 2023 Skilled Nursing Facility Prospective Payment System Proposed Rule (CMS 1765-P)
Proposed Rule News
- News: CMS Releases Skilled Nursing Facility PPS Proposed Rule for FY23
- News: Nursing home pay rule reveals CMS strategy on minimum staffing
Comments on Proposed Rule News
- News: CMS Outlines Multi-Faceted Approach to Nursing Home Minimum Staffing Requirements
- News: Employment Considerations for Long Term Care Facilities under the Biden-Harris Administration
- News: CMS developing minimum staffing requirements
- News: The Math Doesn’t Work: Nursing Home Staffing Woes Unsolvable Without Immigration Action
- News: CMS: Nursing Home Minimum Staffing Requirements to Strike Balance Between Opposing Industry Views
- News: CMS reveals differing opinions on minimum staffing approach
- News: CMS Shares Updates on Nursing Home Staffing Study
- News: Site Visits Included in CMS Staffing Study
- News: CMS Heading Into Facilities to Help Determine Federal Staffing Mandate
- News: Why the Caregiver Definition Must Be Expanded for Nursing Homes to Overcome Labor Crunch
AHCA / CLA Study News
- News: Staffing Mandate Analysis on Minimum Nurse Staffing Levels
- News: Federal Staffing Minimums Could Cost the Nursing Home Industry $10B
- News: Mandated minimum staffing would cost nursing homes $10 billion annually
- News: Minimum staffing levels would cost nursing homes $10 billion a year
- News: Minimum Staffing Requirements Could Cost Nursing Homes $10B Annually
- News: State of Skilled Nursing Facilities Today, Planning for the Future
- News: CLA’s Deb Emerson on Staffing Mandates And ‘Wishful Thinking