CMS targets staffing in updated ROP
CMS targets staffing, resident room capacities in updated RoP guidance
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services appears to be weighing changes to its nursing home room capacity standards, based on recommendations included in updated guidance released Wednesday.
The issue was among several key topics addressed in a memo issued Wednesday for nursing home surveyors that updates guidance related to Phase 2 and Phase 3 of the Requirements of Participation.
CMS added new requirements for surveyors to incorporate the use of Payroll Based Journal staffing data for more thorough investigations into provider compliance with staffing requirements. The update comes just months after PBJ reporting expanded and as the agency works to establish new minimum staffing requirements for nursing homes.
June 30 , 2022
Brown, Danielle. “UPDATED: CMS Targets Staffing, Resident Room Capacities in Updated RoP Guidance.” McKnight’s Long-Term Care News, 30 June 2022, www.mcknights.com/news/cms-targets-staffing-resident-room-capacities-in-updated-rop-guidance.
- CMS: QSO Memo 22-19-NH Revised Long-Term Care Surveyor Guidance
- CMS: Technical Users’ Guide July 2022
- CMS: PBJ Policy Manual Version 2.6 (June 2022)
- CMS: State Operations Manual: Appendix PP Guidance to Surveyors of Long Term Care Facilities
Survey Inspection Guidance News
- News: Updated Guidance for Nursing Home Resident Health and Safety
- News: CMS Issues Significant Updates to Improve the Safety and Quality Care for Long-Term Care Residents
- News: CMS Updates Nursing Home Medicare Requirements of Participation Guidance
- News: CMS Announces Updates to Improve Safety and Quality of Long-term Care Facilities
- News: Medicare, Medicaid to Take Closer Look at Nursing Home Staffing
- News: Month for fireworks in long term care
- News: New employee interviews, deeper dive into PBJ data could lead to more survey citations
- News: Appendix PP Revisions in the State Operations Manual: Breaking Down Key Changes
- News: PBJ Data Use in Surveys Serves as ‘Breadcrumbs’ to Looming Federal Staffing Mandate
Five Star Ratings News
- News: ‘Counterintuitive to the Goal:’ Impending Five-Star Staffing Measures Don’t Address Ongoing Labor Challenges
- News: Revised CMS PBJ Manual
- News: CMS Issues Guidance on Five-Star Staffing Measures
- News: Turnover, weekend staffing levels now in Five-Star ratings
- News: Thousands of nursing homes face lower Five-Star ratings
- News: Lots to learn with new Five-Star
- News: CMS Officially Adds Weekend Staffing, Turnover to Five-Star Quality Ratings
- News: 1 in 3 nursing homes fall in staffing under new CMS Five-Star rating system
- News: Ensuring Accuracy of Staffing Ratings in Nursing Home Care Compare