CMS developing minimum staffing requirements
CMS opens up on approach to developing minimum staffing requirements
Officials with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services on Wednesday opened up about the “multi-faceted approach” it’s using to develop and propose minimum staffing requirements for nursing homes next year.
“This is an incredibly important body of work that we hope to ensure that nursing residents are receiving safe and quality care that they need,” a CMS official said Wednesday while speaking during a nursing home stakeholder call.
The agency is in the midst of examining ways to set minimum staffing requirements for nursing homes as part of President Joe Biden’s nursing home reform initiatives, and called on providers to give input on the matter when it issued its proposed 2023 Skilled Nursing Facilities Prospective Payment System in mid-April.
July 14, 2022
Brown, Danielle. “CMS Opens up on Approach to Developing Minimum Staffing Requirements.” McKnight’s Long-Term Care News, 14 July 2022, www.mcknights.com/news/cms-opens-up-on-approach-to-developing-minimum-staffing-requirements.
- AHCA / CliftonLarsonAllen In-Depth Analysis on Minimum Nurse Staffing Levels
- CMS Proposed Rule (April 2022): Fiscal Year (FY) 2023 Skilled Nursing Facility Prospective Payment System Proposed Rule (CMS 1765-P)
Proposed Rule News
- News: ‘Embrace’ staffing measures in new CMS pay rule
- News: CMS Releases Skilled Nursing Facility PPS Proposed Rule for FY23
- News: Nursing home pay rule reveals CMS strategy on minimum staffing
Comments on Proposed Rule News
- News: CMS Outlines Multi-Faceted Approach to Nursing Home Minimum Staffing Requirements
- News: Employment Considerations for Long Term Care Facilities under the Biden-Harris Administration
- News: The Math Doesn’t Work: Nursing Home Staffing Woes Unsolvable Without Immigration Action
- News: CMS: Nursing Home Minimum Staffing Requirements to Strike Balance Between Opposing Industry Views
- News: CMS reveals differing opinions on minimum staffing approach
- News: CMS Shares Updates on Nursing Home Staffing Study
- News: Site Visits Included in CMS Staffing Study
- News: CMS Heading Into Facilities to Help Determine Federal Staffing Mandate
- News: Why the Caregiver Definition Must Be Expanded for Nursing Homes to Overcome Labor Crunch
AHCA / CLA Study News
- News: Staffing Mandate Analysis on Minimum Nurse Staffing Levels
- News: Federal Staffing Minimums Could Cost the Nursing Home Industry $10B
- News: Mandated minimum staffing would cost nursing homes $10 billion annually
- News: Minimum staffing levels would cost nursing homes $10 billion a year
- News: Minimum Staffing Requirements Could Cost Nursing Homes $10B Annually
- News: State of Skilled Nursing Facilities Today, Planning for the Future
- News: CLA’s Deb Emerson on Staffing Mandates And ‘Wishful Thinking